Monday, April 8, 2013

Touch & Talk

I was reminded today how important it is to simply communicate even when two-way conversation seems impossible. When I was wretchedly sick with an able mind but an unresponsive body, I cried silently for human touch and talk. Many entered my sick room - to adjust a medical line, infuse medication, or discuss my condition; but a real connection to anyone who came into the room seemed hopeless.  

Finally, when my family was allowed in the ICU 10 minutes every hour, I would feel them touch my toes or plant a kiss on my forehead. Eyes sealed shut, I could hear them say they loved me or squeeze my hand. It meant the world to me. 

Many souls live among us who can not communicate well or at all. My whole life has been about communications - journalism, public relations, marketing, et al so I've never had trouble expressing myself except when trapped in my own body or wracked with fear or grief unable to get the words out. 

This simple video is so powerful, I cried due to its pain but, also, its sheer beauty. God Bless Naomi Feil and what she is teaching us.

Touch and talk. Talk and touch. So very valuable and important. Hold someone's hand today a little longer than usual. 



Gladys Wilson and Naomi Feil.





No comments:

Post a Comment

Please comment! I'll write about what you'd like. Let me know.