Monday, September 15, 2014

Life takes its time...

Last time I wrote, I expounded on what it feels like to turn 54-years-old after never thinking that I would even live this long due to cancer, lupus and chronic illness. None of my doctors gave me any encouragement. But life takes its own time and I'm glad.

Today I celebrate my marriage of 30 years to the same man - yes, the same man! I know that is uncommon but I think it might have something to do with commitment and honor and love and - to tell the truth - neither of us ever had anywhere to go when we threatened to leave!

Albert Einstein said: "The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once."

Ain't it the truth. As I scroll through my memories, I could never have been able to understand them or learn from them if everything ended up in a jumbled pile of contorted stuff. That's why we process things as they come to us. That's why I'm not a big picture taker; I want to take in what I am experiencing, seeing, doing without worrying if I get the shot.

Yesterday was a great day for memories. A family day when my husband, two sons and I went to New York City to see STOMP off Broadway, walked from the theater to Little Italy and the Feast of San Gennaro and wound our way through masses of people, cutting through Chinatown, to get to an Italian restaurant my Italian husband remembered, the original Puglias. Not only did we eat delicious food and toast my son's 21st birthday, there was singing and clapping and waving of napkins and standing on chairs. Ahhhh life! It happens in moments.

Today I get to think of all those moments because I'm tired; oh so very tired. My disabilities render me physically useless the day after such a moment. This is when life takes its time and I get to remember yesterday and all the days, months, and years before.

The only thing we forgot to do was take a family picture! Rats. 

Mulberry Street, NYC




No comments:

Post a Comment

Please comment! I'll write about what you'd like. Let me know.