Thursday, November 15, 2012

Suffering & Succotash

Suffering & Succotash

So much suffering: Deaths to mourn; cities, towns and villages wiped out by Hurricane Sandy; rocket attacks in Israel; Benghazi-Gate and hate still runs rampant.

The holidays are here! 

If Looney Tunes' Sylvester the Cat  was around, his catch-phrase - suffering succotash - would mean a lot more than a spoiled corn and bean dish for Thanksgiving. What it does mean, in his words, is frustration. Sylvester doesn't get his way and most of us don't get ours when we approach the most wondrous time of the year. We go. We do. We maintain tradition.

But I am frustrated yet I promise I will remain thankful. I've reached another 'new normal' in my physical health condition and I'm adjusting accordingly. I'm in mourning for a friend. I'm aghast at the news from all corners of the country and the world. Texas wants to secede and I still sit here getting ready to go out tonight to celebrate another friend's achievement.

Stealing another famous cartoon character's best line: "Oh bother," says Pooh, but he pads on with Piglet by his side searching for the honey pot. I will still search for the honeypot. Hopefully it will be sweet and succulent rather than suffering succotash. Will you share it with me?

“Piglet sidled up to Pooh from behind. 
"Pooh?" he whispered.
"Yes, Piglet?"
"Nothing," said Piglet, taking Pooh's hand. "I just wanted to be sure of you.” 


― A.A. MilneWinnie-the-Pooh




I just want to be sure of all of you today. Thank you for you. 


2 comments:

  1. Let the Texans secede... their choice of governments the last twenty years or so leaves me wondering 'What were they thinking?'. Stay healthy and stay YOU. I enjoy your blog. Check out mine sometime.
    John

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I enjoy your blog, too. I've read it and leave comments now and then. Apparently they can't secede. There's a law from 1896 where they signed off on it themselves that they would never do it. Interesting stuff, tho'.

      Delete

Please comment! I'll write about what you'd like. Let me know.