Wednesday, August 7, 2013

Feeling GROOVY!

Hello lamp post, whatcha knowing; I think you've got some flowers growing.
Ain't ya got no time for me; boop bee dee boop boop feeling groovy!

It's the very first song I learned on guitar as a young girl in the '60s. I was so excited! I felt part of a revolution generation where everything was going to be wonderful, loving and happy! 

A few weeks ago, I was in an awful Lupus flare and, yes, I was the lamp post - stuck because I was in so much pain. But then a wonderful thing happened - some flowers started growing around me and I've come alive again.

In the past week, I've been blessed with a wonderful, private book launch party, a FREE promotion on Amazon Kindle that has attracted over 150 downloads in just two days, a raffle for 10 of my books on goodreads where 235 readers have entered and added DYING TO LIVE: Running backwards through cancer, Lupus and Chronic illness to their "want to read" lists and I'm taping a local television show in Myrtle Beach, SC today. It is called Your Health is Wealth with Dalal Akoury, M.D. I will be representing the cancer patient's point of view.

Flowers, flowers everywhere!

And those are just the successes I'm having right now. Some of my colleagues and friends who also struggle with chronic illness are in the midst of celebratory events as well. I am as excited for them as I am for me.

Yet, unfortunately, I wait. I wait for the ax to fall; the shoe to drop. I know this time will be fleeting since my ailments are so unpredictable. I'm continuing with the new integrative/functional medicine diet and supplements and find that I am feeling better but I still can't attribute any of it to my overall well-being. Time will tell. It is still too soon. I am hopeful.

And that's the best those of us who are sick can do - be hopeful and helpful to others who are experiencing the same. I try. I wake each day wondering what small steps I can take and in what order I will take them. I know today is a biggie with the television show taping, so tomorrow will be a day of rest. I've learned that much.

So go off today and enjoy that shower if that's all you can do. Do an errand. Visit with a pal. Write a poem. If you can't leave your bed, that's okay, too. Place a vase of beautifully smelling flowers next to your bed. Inhale their scent and know that even though you're the lamp post today, seeds are already being planted for you for tomorrow.


Book launch party at Coastal Wine Boutique, Myrtle Beach, SC







1 comment:

  1. Amy! I am so proud of you for having not only the emotional and physical fortitude to carry on and "thrive with the positve." And the book.... such a self-examination with life under the microscope for all others to benefit! Thanks for making the sacrifices to enable all of us to learn as well! And.... the TV show will be wonderful promotion for you!
    Congratulations and may continued success always follow you! (As you so richly deserve it! )
    Much Love and Respect,

    Donna "Ladyjustice"


    ReplyDelete

Please comment! I'll write about what you'd like. Let me know.