Monday, October 22, 2012

Gathering Together

It's not our traditional Thanksgiving yet, but over on a certain Facebook page a group 400+ strong has come together in a very short time in praise of a magnificent individual - Susan Murphy Milano, domestic rights advocate, author, public speaker, and stage four cancer victim.

Shamelessly fiddling with Paul Stookey's lyrics, I borrow them for they are apt:

He is now to be among you at the calling of (our) hearts
Rest assured this troubadour is acting on His part.
The union of (our) spirits, here, has caused Him to remain
For whenever two or more of (us) are gathered in His name
There is Love. There is Love. 


I have never felt so comforted by a community that stretches beyond physical and virtual borders; friends, acquaintances, and strangers, most of whom have never  met each other yet come together in the common language of love as our friend, mentor, colleague, advocate, advisor, and hero fights her greatest fight. 

So, I thank all of you for comforting me - someone who only knew Susan for a short time but someone to whom she reached out when diagnosed to chat a bit about her illness because I am a stage four cancer survivor

I am angry that God selected Susan. I bear guilt, too, for why didn't He take me who has not been such a Susan-like awe-inspiring role model over her lifetime? I can do more. 

I know God's plan is true. And I knew when I crossed over for a brief time during my critical illness, He was there and it is beautiful. 



Thank you, Susan, for introducing me to your community of angels. Thank you, Susan, for I know you will be on the other side waiting for me when it is my turn. Thank you, Susan, for being exactly who you are - a blend of smart, sass, wit, and honor that will know no match - ever. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please comment! I'll write about what you'd like. Let me know.