Monday, June 10, 2013

When you're a stranger...

So, it's out there. My whole wretched life in black and white - being read all over. I'm no longer the Wizard hiding behind the curtain.

Early reviews of my book DYING TO LIVE: Running backwards through cancer, Lupus, and chronic illness are better than I could have imagined. I am proud, excited, awestruck and profoundly moved by the comments by those who have read my memoir that lays out how childhood maltreatment can lead to adult physical illness. It is my personal story; so very personal.

It is strange now, unsettling - like The Doors sing in People Are Strange "People are strange when you're a stranger..." So far, nobody has been strange and I don't think any complete strangers have read it yet. So, for now, I am safe.

But what about tomorrow? Or the next day? Or in weeks, months and years to come? I have put myself out there willingly; warts and all. It is an unusual place to be and when I start hearing about how my words - MY words - have helped others, I will feel that it is all worth it.

I didn't think I would still be alive today. Yet, here I am (much to some doctors' amazement). It's a trite saying but it's true: If I can help just one person with this book, it will all have been worth it.

Thank you, my friends, for keeping this dream alive for so long. Now, the real work begins - announcing to the world that this particular stranger has something very important to say!

With love,
Amy





2 comments:

  1. I am linking this to several of my friends and chronic illness chatrooms, groups, what-have-you. I am Sherry Vance's (Higgenbotham) cousin who happens to have lupus.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Pamela. I greatly appreciate it.

      Delete

Please comment! I'll write about what you'd like. Let me know.